A new unusual flower settled down in your house – the orchid. It has already conquered not only you, but also your family members with its beauty.
And you want to delight it as long as possible, but you have no idea how to take care of orchid.
How to take care of the orchid correctly
Before you start to comprehend the basics of taking care of the orchid, put it in the plant quarantine for a few weeks, isolate it from the other houseplants.
- Orchid’s adaptation period in your apartment has to be nice and quiet for it, no direct sunrays, no fertilizers and literally one-time watering throughout the quarantine.
- Look at the orchid every day to see the flower vermin or diseases. Before taking care of the orchid correctly, start to accustom the flower to the sun after the adaptation by moving the flowerpot with the orchid aside to the window bit by bit and start to water it a bit at a time.
- You should transplant the new houseplant. Substrate, which the orchid lives in, will serve for several years.
- Orchid, which has endured the move, needs rest and the absence of moisture.
So, your beautiful flower has adapted to the new home. What’s next? How to take care of the orchid at home? This flower justifies the title of capricious and gentle. But knowing how to take care of the orchids at home, you will be able to make the plant grow as long as possible.
- Lightning. Choosing the home for the orchids in your apartment, choose the windowsill or table, where the sunrays don’t get, the illumination for the flower needs to be diffused. In the summer, if there’s no opportunity to take the orchids deeper in the room, darken the window with the tape or put the plastic. Take away the blanking in the autumn for the orchid to get enough amount of natural light. Lack of the lightning in any time will have impact on the plant’s leaves, they will grow light instead of the green color and then they will grow yellow.
- Temperature. Temperature conditions are being chosen considering the sorts of orchids.
1. Temperature should be 15-32 ºC in the summer and 15-22 ºC in the winter for the tropical orchids, which include phalaenopsis, dendrobium and cattleya. All-day drop of five ºC at most is allowed.
- Orchids originally hail from the tropics and mountainous areas. Pansy orchid and odontoglossum need colder conditions. 25 ºC at most in the summer and up to 18 ºC in the winter.
- Inhabitants of the subtropics and the highlands (Australian dendrobium, laelia and Paphiopedilum) are quite psychrophilic. Which is why the air temperature in the summer has to be up to 22 ºC and 15 ºC are enough for the winter.
- Watering. Remember, the orchid’s root won’t withstand if the water stagnates in the ground. So water the flower only when the soil is dry. Orchids will more likely survive the soil’s overdrying than the redundant watering. You can intensify the watering when the plant produces the flower spikes and blossoms. Water for the watering needs to be soft and it’s perfect if the water is melt or rain. No? Then water it with the boiled water. Water two-three times a week in the summer period and two times a week at most in the winter and then only after the ground’s overdrying.
Put the orchid that needs the watering right in the flowerpot in the basin or big pot with the warm water for ten minutes. Optionally, you can refresh the capricious one under the shower and allow the water to flow down through the drain holes.
- fertilization. If you renew the substrate at least once in two years, then the orchid will get the necessary nutrient elements. And there’s no necessity to fertilize the plant in this case. When you are choosing the soil blend, buy the one, which is meant for the orchids. You should feed the orchid only in the phase when it grows and evolves. Rest period and wintertime – rest time for the orchid.
Forasmuch as the care of orchid isn’t troublesome, the spectacular beauty will possess the friends soon enough.
How to take care of orchid after the flowering
Orchid sheds its blossoms. It’s a pity, but it’s not tragic though. The information about taking care of the orchid after the flowering will allow to preserve the flower and bring it back to life for new amazing flowers.
- End of the orchids’ blossom is instantiated by waxen shade of the flower spike. Wait for it to dry and change its color.
- Cut the dried up and blacken flower spike to the root. Arrow for the flowers needs to be fully dry.
- Insomuch as the cutting of the orchid’s flower spike is quite a stressful procedure, you should provide the peace, which consists of delicate watering (spraying from the airbrush), compliance with the temperature regime (24ºC in the daytime, at least 16 ºC in the night) and the diffused lightning.
- Maximally reduce or eliminate the feeding of the orchid in the resting period. Refreshed orchid will produce the new flower spike and it will thank you for the exquisite rest and care after the few months or sometimes more (depends on the type).